Definition of ethnogenesis
: the process by which a group of people becomes ethnically distinct : the formation and development of an ethnic group All this seems obvious enough, yet in reality it is largely unproven supposition, for historical records give hardly any information on the crucial questions of Rumanian ethnogenesis.— W. B. Lockwood, A Panorama of Indo-European Languages, 1972
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game