Definition of elementary charge
: an apparently fundamental constant that is the smallest known quantity of electricity, is either positive or negative (as the positron or the electron), and has a value of about 4.802×10−10 statcoulomb or 1.602×10−19 absolute coulomb
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game