drink tophrasal verb
drank to; drunk to; drinking to
Definition of drink to
: to speak words that honor or express good wishes for (someone or something) and then take a drink : to make a toast to (someone or something) We drank to their 30th anniversary. We drank to their health.
Note: I'll drink to that! means that one agrees completely with something that someone has said."It will be the best vacation of our lives." "I'll drink to that!"
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game