down the hatchidiom
Definition of down the hatch
informal, often humorous
: into the mouth and down the throat This whiskey sure goes down the hatch easily! Give him a couple of chocolate chips to melt in his mouth and disguise the taste. Boom! Medicine down the hatch.— Kavita Varma-White
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game