Definition of potlatch
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a ceremonial feast of the American Indians of the northwest coast marked by the host's lavish distribution of gifts or sometimes destruction of property to demonstrate wealth and generosity with the expectation of eventual reciprocation
2 Northwest : a social event or celebration
potlatched; potlatching; potlatches
Definition of potlatch (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to give (something, such as a gift) especially with the expectation of a gift in return
2 : to hold or give a potlatch for (a tribe, a group, etc.)
: to hold or give a potlatch
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game