Definition of divert
- studied law but diverted to diplomacy
- divert traffic to a side street
- diverting funds to other projects
- trying to divert her attention
- children diverting themselves with their toys
Police diverted traffic to a side street.
The stream was diverted toward the farmland.
They were charged with illegally diverting public funds for private use.
He lied to divert attention from the real situation.
They're only proposing the law to divert attention from important issues.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'divert.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
What made you want to look up divert? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Find the Cousins