Examples of discernment in a Sentence
- I wasn't sanguine about my powers of discernment, as I've failed similar exercises in the Central Park Ramble, where I practice bird-watching for dummies and am scarcely able to distinguish a rook from a duck. —Judith Thurman, New Yorker, 1 Dec., 2003
- Varying widely in scope and theme, the 10 essays about the Bill of Rights in this collection often shine with insight and sparkling turns of phrase; some, however, betray lack of discernment. —Jonathan Kellerman et al., Publishers Weekly, 17 Apr. 2000
- If one searched the archives to find an example of Spanish colonial policy at its worst, one would surely select Don Carlos Benites Franquis de Lugo, a vain, arrogant, opinionated fop who never displayed a shred of either courage or discernment but who did distinguish himself as one of the most inept and vengeful Spaniards ever to function overseas. —James A. Michener, Texas, 1985
His lack of discernment led to his disastrous choice of business partners.
the discernment to know when someone is a true friend
Recent Examples of discernment from the Web
As the New England ministers knew, intrigue suggests powers of higher discernment.
After all, your discernment is what the test is designed to determine.
One always has to rely on one’s own judgment and discernment.
Reckless collegiate travel abroad broadens Waters’ dining discernment and, frankly, knowledge of salad.
Trust your gut and use your discernment to navigate through life.
Rosekind also points out that the suspect Takata airbag inflator has 10 different configurations, which complicates discernment of the root cause.
This woman needs to grow some brains and discernment.
The consecration ceremony followed years of prayer and discernment – and involved a bit of a learning curve for the Archdiocese.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'discernment.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of discernment
Synonymswisdom, insight, perception, perceptiveness, perceptivity, sagaciousness, sagacity, sageness, sapience
Related Wordsacuity, acumen, astuteness, clear-sightedness, keenness, penetration, percipience, perspicacity, sensitivity, understanding; appreciation, apprehension, comprehension, grasp; brain (s), braininess, brightness, brilliance, canniness, cleverness, gray matter, intellect, intelligence, judgment (or judgement), mentality, power, reason, sense, smartness, wit; discrimination, foresight, foresightedness, judiciousness, prudence, sanity; logic, rationality
Near Antonymsdensity, dullness (also dulness), obtuseness; brainlessness, folly, foolishness, idiocy, imbecility, mindlessness, silliness, simplemindedness, simpleness, stupidity, witlessness; illogic, irrationality, unreasonableness, unsoundness; craziness, insanity, lunacy, madness; preposterousness, senselessness, silliness, zaniness
Synonym Discussion of discernment
- the discernment to know true friends
- the discrimination that develops through listening to a lot of great music
- a novelist of keen perception into human motives
- lacks the penetration to see the scorn beneath their friendly smiles
- a documentary providing insight into the plight of the homeless
- a director of reliable box-office acumen
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up discernment? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).