Definition of damascene
(Entry 1 of 3)
1 capitalized : a native or inhabitant of Damascus
2 : the characteristic markings of Damascus steel
Definition of damascene (Entry 2 of 3)
Definition of damascene (Entry 3 of 3)
: to ornament (something, such as iron or steel) with wavy patterns like those of watered silk or with inlaid work of precious metals
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game