cut it closeidiom
variants: or chiefly British cut it fine
Definition of cut it close
: to almost not be able to do something : to almost fail, lose, etc. They ended up winning the game, but they really cut it close at the end It's cutting it a bit fine to get to the station at 9:45 when the train leaves at 9:50!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game