Examples of courage in a Sentence
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver … didn't buy into the propaganda of her day that women had to be soft and submissive. That took courage back then, because she grew up in a family that expected a lot from the boys and very little from the girls. —Maria Shriver, Time, 26 Oct. 2009
- Sometimes when I debate whether to risk my individuality or conform, the memory of my son's picture brings me courage. —Sue Monk Kidd, Reader's Digest, August 1990
- But as long as your courage holds out you may as well go right ahead making a fool of yourself. All brave men are fools. —Robert Frost 17 Apr. 1915, in Selected Letters of Robert Frost, 1964
She has the courage to support unpopular causes.
It takes courage to stand up for your rights.
Recent Examples of courage from the Web
But 06 spent a year on her own, which took a lot of guts and courage to survive the winter!
Okeowo selects four unique stories to demonstrate the uncommon courage that a few common people display in the face of serious harm.
Haley, succeeding where others failed, was lauded for her delicate act of political courage.
The concluding passages of Mountain recall Anton Chekhov’s famous saying that any idiot can handle a tragedy, but that living from day to day takes courage.
Merriam-Webster defines courage as perseverance in the face of fear.
Story about courage, determination and facing life head on with passion and joy.
Nevertheless, the moral courage and intellectual coherence of Luther’s dissent should not be undervalued.
Their courage and the support of others is critical in helping to stop this kind of behavior.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'courage.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsbottle [British slang], bravery, courageousness, daring, daringness, dauntlessness, doughtiness, fearlessness, gallantry, greatheartedness, guts, gutsiness, hardihood, heart, heroism, intestinal fortitude, intrepidity, intrepidness, moxie, nerve, pecker [chiefly British], prowess, stoutness, valor, virtue
Antonymscowardice, cowardliness, cravenness, dastardliness, poltroonery, spinelessness
Related Wordsbackbone, fiber, fortitude, grit, gumption, mettle, pluck, pluckiness, spunk, temper; determination, perseverance, resolution; endurance, stamina, stomach, tenacity; audacity, boldness, brazenness, cheek, cojones [slang], effrontery, gall, temerity
Near Antonymscold feet, faintheartedness, fearfulness, mousiness, timidity, timorousness; feebleness, softness, weakness; impotence, ineffectualness; hesitation, indecision, indecisiveness, irresolution
Synonym Discussion of courage
- the courage to support unpopular causes
- a challenge that will test your mettle
- her spirit was unbroken by failure
- the resolution of pioneer women
- held to their beliefs with great tenacity
COURAGE Defined for English Language Learners
COURAGE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up courage? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).