variants: or less commonly counter-suggestion
plural countersuggestions also counter-suggestions
Definition of countersuggestion
1 : an opposing or alternative suggestion The politicians have also hit on the rather cunning counter-suggestion that the political correspondents who write about them, and the newspaper proprietors whose organs criticize them, should also come clean. — Punch
2a psychology : a suggestion made (as by a therapist) to an individual with the intention of getting the individual to say or do the opposite of what is suggested also : a suggestion that challenges a belief in order to evaluate the strength of the belief by the reaction elicited
b psychology : a method of psychotherapy that uses countersuggestions
c : a suggestion made (as by a hypnotist) to an individual who is under hypnosis in order to cause a change in the individual's thoughts or behavior
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game