coun·ter·selection | \ "+\
Definition of counterselection
: selection opposed in its effects to natural selection: such as
a : preservation of less well-adapted individuals : dysgenic selection
b : selection in plant or animal breeding against a quality undesirable from the point of view of the breeder though likely to be retained in a state of nature counterselection against low milk production in cattle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game