variants: or counter-petition
plural counterpetitions or counter-petitions
Definition of counterpetition
: a petition that supports or advocates positions or actions counter to those supported or advocated in another petition : an opposing petition After a senior voiced her concerns and started a petition, the school principal canceled the tradition. … A counterpetition has 100 signatures.— Frances Wang
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game