variants: or counter-picket
plural counterpickets or counter-pickets
Definition of counterpicket
: a person who acts as a picket (see picket entry 1 sense 3a) to counter or oppose a demonstration or protest Waitresses picketing … were met with counterpickets paid by the employers.— Alice Kessler Harris also : a demonstration or protest staged to counter or oppose another Some anti-union workers mounted a counterpicket.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game