Definition of countermark
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : an added mark designed to secure greater safety or more complete identification:
a : a mark put on a package of goods belonging to several persons to show that it may not be opened except in the presence of all
b : a hallmark added to that of the artificer of gold or silver work
2 : an artificial cavity formerly made in the teeth of horses to disguise their age — compare bishop entry 3
3a : a mark on a coin that is not part of the original design but that has been added as indication of a change in the coin's value, in its issuing authority, or in its country of circulation The 18 stiver coin of St. Martin issued in 1809 shows a bundle of arrows as countermark.
b : a mark on a coin added as attestation of purity or standard value : chop mark
Definition of countermark (Entry 2 of 2)
: to apply a countermark to countermark silverware Coins were countermarked with a “V”.
Keep scrolling for more
Words from Greek and Latin Quiz
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game