variants: or counter-coup
plural countercoups or counter-coups
Definition of countercoup
: a coup d'état to overthrow or alter a government that was established by an earlier coup d'état … in 1963, the Baathists had seized power in a coup only to lose it nine months later in a countercoup …— Jason Zengerle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?