variants: or less commonly counter-assault
plural counterassaults also counter-assaults
Definition of counterassault
: an assault undertaken in response to or in defense against an assault made by another launching counterassaults against the enemy … Army Rangers mounted a counter-assault, killing the terrorists and rescuing more than 900 kids and teachers.— Dale Neal
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?