variants: or counter-argument
plural counterarguments or counter-arguments
Definition of counterargument
: an opposing argument Joseph Stiglitz's new book, "The Price of Inequality," is the single most comprehensive counterargument to both Democratic neoliberalism and Republican laissez-faire theories.— Thomas B. Edsall … careful consideration of each of the arguments made by the appellant, and of the counter-arguments advanced by the appellees …— Jonathan M. Landers et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game