: to lay (oneself) down for rest or sleep
- The lion couched himself by a tree.
: to embroider (a design) by laying down a thread and fastening it with small stitches at regular intervals
: to place or hold level and pointed forward ready for use
- Couching his lance, he seated himself firmly in his saddle …
- —W. Somerset Maugham
: to phrase or express in a specified manner
- The comments were couched in strong terms.
: to lie down or recline for sleep or rest
- the odd way a camel couches
: to lie in ambush
- The tiger couches in the thick grass, watching its prey move closer.