:to lay (oneself) down for rest or sleep
- The lion couched himself by a tree.
:to embroider (a design) by laying down a thread and fastening it with small stitches at regular intervals
:to place or hold level and pointed forward ready for use
- Couching his lance, he seated himself firmly in his saddle …
- —W. Somerset Maugham
:to phrase or express in a specified manner
- The comments were couched in strong terms.
:to lie down or recline for sleep or rest
- the odd way a camel couches
:to lie in ambush
- The tiger couches in the thick grass, watching its prey move closer.