Definition of cosplay
- Sometimes people are miscast in life. They may appear to be dentists or clerks, but deep down they are actually fierce swordsmen or goddesses with devastating sex appeal. These true selves can emerge in the world of cosplay, the practice of impersonating characters from anime, manga, Japanese video games, and other realms of fiction.
- —Mother Jones, November/December 2007
- cosplay costumes
cosplayverb, transitive + intransitive cosplayed; cosplaying; cosplays
- At the orchestra's video game performance in 2013, some people cosplayed their favorite characters.
- —Stephanie Hayes, Tampa Bay Times, 17 Apr. 2014
- Fans return to this convention year after year, celebrating Japanese visual culture and happily cosplaying as anime characters they care about.
- —Corbie Hill, News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina), 22 May 2014
cosplayernoun, plural cosplayers
- A convention such as this wouldn't be complete without cosplayers out in full force. … Characters from Disney, DC, Marvel, video games and even childhood favorites like Transformers and Power Rangers inspired the masses to dress up.
- —Scott Fishman, Miami Herald, 6 June 2014
- For the uninitiated, the typical anime convention is a carnival of delights for any fan of Japanese animation and comics. Aside from the costumed attendees, taking part in an activity known as cosplaying, there are also anime screenings, panel discussions …
- —Jason S. Yadao, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 21 Apr. 2005