Examples of conviction in a Sentence
- … a perfect example, I told Bobby, … why Realtors have to be prepared to work holidays. "Well, yeah," he said, utterly without conviction. —Jane Smiley, Good Faith, 2003
- It was his conviction that if the words in the story were blurred because of the author's insensitivity, carelessness, or sentimentality, then the story suffered from a tremendous handicap. —Raymond Carver, The Story and Its Writer, edited by Ann Charters, 1987
- She spoke in … the voice which people often used to express their deepest convictions … —Paula Fox, A Servant's Tale, 1984
- Certainly the basis of our democracy is the conviction of the worth of the individual. —Robert Penn Warren, Democracy and Poetry, (1975) 1976
She hopes to avoid conviction.
In light of the evidence, a conviction seems certain.
He has three prior drunk-driving convictions.
Convictions for shoplifting have made it difficult for her to get a job.
a person of deep convictions
They share my strong conviction that the policy is misguided.
Recent Examples of conviction from the Web
In the months prior, Murray had attacked the backgrounds of his initial accusers, men with records of criminal convictions and drug abuse.
More than 1,900 Cambodian nationals in the U.S. are subject to a final order of removal, about 1,400 of whom have criminal convictions and 500 of whom have no lawful status to remain in the country, ICE told NBC News in September.
Special Counsel Mueller already has one criminal conviction.
The charges also came with a special enhancement because Fierro has nine prior violent felony convictions.
Former New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver; Dean Skelos, a former majority leader of the New York state senate; and Skelos’s son, Adam Skelos, have also had corruption convictions overturned over the past few months on similar grounds.
But under the current administration, her conviction has waned.
Broadway has several previous felony convictions, according to court records.
But Nelson and Maddon ultimately had those respective convictions invalidated.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'conviction.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsassurance, assuredness, certainty, certitude, cocksureness, confidence, doubtlessness, face, positiveness, satisfaction, sureness, surety
Antonymsdoubt, incertitude, nonconfidence, uncertainty
Related Wordsauthoritarianism, dogmatism; decisiveness, determination, firmness, purposefulness, resoluteness, resolution, resolve
Near Antonymshesitancy, hesitation, indecisiveness, irresolution; disbelief, incredulity, unbelief; anxiety, concern, misgiving; distrust, mistrust, suspicion
Synonym Discussion of conviction
- claims that cannot be confirmed with scientific certainty
- believes with certitude in an afterlife
- holds firm convictions on every issue
- each expert seemed to have a different opinion
- very assertive in stating his views
- a firm belief in her party's platform
- the conviction that animal life is as sacred as human
- was of the persuasion that everything changes
- her feminist sentiments are well-known
CONVICTION Defined for English Language Learners
CONVICTION Defined for Kids
Definition of conviction for Students
- political convictions
- She spoke with conviction.
- He appealed his conviction.
legal Definition of conviction
- a prior conviction of murder
- would not overturn the conviction
- the judge will enter a judgment of conviction
- —W. R. LaFave and J. H. Israel
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up conviction? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).