variants: or contredanse \ ˈkän-trə-ˌdan(t)s also kōⁿ-trə-ˈdäⁿs \
Definition of contra dance
1 : a folk dance in which couples face each other in two lines or a square
2 : a piece of music for a contra dance
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?