:a conclusion derived through logic :inference
- … we can deduce … many consequences each of which can be tested by experiment.
- —James Bryant Conant
:something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions
- the economic consequences of the war
- This refined taste is the consequence of education and habit.
- —Joshua Reynolds
:importance with respect to power to produce an effect
- a mistake of no consequence
- a problem of grave international consequence
- a person of some consequence
:the appearance of importance;
- You will find his consequence very just and reasonable when you see him in his family . … He has a fine dignified manner, which suits the head of such a house …
- —Jane Austen