: a conclusion derived through logic : inference
- … we can deduce … many consequences each of which can be tested by experiment.
- —James Bryant Conant
: something produced by a cause or necessarily following from a set of conditions
- the economic consequences of the war
- This refined taste is the consequence of education and habit.
- —Joshua Reynolds
: importance with respect to power to produce an effect
- a mistake of no consequence
- a problem of grave international consequence
: social importance
- a person of some consequence
: the appearance of importance;
- You will find his consequence very just and reasonable when you see him in his family. … He has a fine dignified manner, which suits the head of such a house …
- —Jane Austen