: to represent as similar : liken
- Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
- —William Shakespeare
: to examine the character or qualities of especially in order to discover resemblances or differences
- compare your responses with the answers
: to view in relation to
- He is tall compared to me.
- The test was easy compared with the last one.
: to inflect or modify (an adjective or adverb) according to the degrees of comparison : state the positive, comparative, and superlative forms of
: to bear being compared
- The two don't even begin to compare.
- We bought two different brands of peanut butter to see how they compare.
: to make comparisons
- If we now go to Italy at all, we go not to learn, but to compare.
- —Norman Douglas