Definition of common goldeneye
: goldeneye sense 1a One of the toughest of this crowd is the common goldeneye. The diving ducks stay about as far north as open water can be found and move farther north as thawing allows in their quest to reach breeding grounds.— Jim McCormac, The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch, 7 Feb. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game