come to lifeidiom
Definition of come to life
1 : to become very interesting, appealing, or exciting The movie really comes to life when she appears on the screen.
2 of a place : to become filled with the energy and excitement of active people Downtown comes to life each night when the clubs open.
3 of a machine : to begin working The engine suddenly came to life.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game