come to lifeidiom
Definition of come to life
1 : to become very interesting, appealing, or exciting The movie really comes to life when she appears on the screen.
2 of a place : to become filled with the energy and excitement of active people Downtown comes to life each night when the clubs open.
3 of a machine : to begin working The engine suddenly came to life.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game