come and goidiom
Definition of come and go
1 —used to talk about time that has passed More than a hundred years have come and gone since the day of that famous battle.
2 —used to talk about people who appear and then leave as time passes She's seen a lot of employees come and go during her time in the company.Politicians come and go. They all seem pretty much the same to me.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game