clean outphrasal verb
cleaned out; cleaning out; cleans out
Definition of clean out
1 : to remove unwanted things from (a room, closet, etc.) We spent the weekend cleaning out the garage.
2 informal : to steal or take everything from (someone or something) The thieves broke in and cleaned out the store.
3 informal : to use up all or most of the money of (someone) Buying the house really cleaned us out. Now we're broke.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game