clav·i·ola | \ ˌkla-vē-ˈō-lə, ˌklā-\
variants: or less commonly claviol \ ˈkla-vē-ˌōl , ˈklā- \
plural claviolas also claviols
Definition of claviola
: a 19th-century keyboard instrument in which the strings are sounded by means of a rotating rosined wheel operated by one hand
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game