variants: or less commonly chum
Definition of chum salmon
: a metallic bluish green salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) of the northern Pacific Ocean and Arctic Ocean that may reach a length of about 3.5 feet (1 meter) but is typically smaller
Note: Upon entering fresh water to spawn, the male chum salmon develops large, sharp teeth and becomes dark green to brown with reddish-purple vertical stripes.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game