choke outphrasal verb
choked out; choking out; chokes out
Definition of choke out
: to say (something) with difficulty because of strong emotion She tearfully choked out an apology. He just managed to choke a reply out.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game