Definition of charity
- The holidays are a time for charity and goodwill.
- received charity from the neighbors
- raised funds for several charities
- too proud to accept charity
- The critic was liked for his charity and moderation.
The holidays are a time for charity and good will.
She refused to accept charity.
The dinner was held to raise funds for several charities.
She runs a local charity that gives books to children.
All the money will go to charity.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'charity.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use: 13th centurySee Words from the same year
What made you want to look up charity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).