catch unawares/unprepared/by surpriseidiom
Definition of catch unawares/unprepared/by surprise
: to affect (someone) in a sudden, unexpected and surprising way The new law caught them unawares. They were caught unprepared by the crisis. The announcement caught me by surprise
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?