Definition of catch title
1 : a distinguishing abbreviation of or a short substitute for a full title used especially in book lists and catalogs
2 : the often abbreviated titles of the first and last entries or articles appearing on the spine of any volume of a multivolume set
3 : a faintly written title in the margin of a manuscript page intended as a guide for the rubricator
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game