Definition of carpet shark
: any of an order (Orectolobiformes) of sharks of tropical and warm temperate oceans that have two dorsal fins without spines, barbels typically near the nostrils, and often intricately patterned mottled skin It is a carpet shark whose amazing camouflage makes it hard to spot, and its modus operandi is to lie motionless on the seabed waiting for prey to come its way. — David Gower, Daily Telegraph (London), 8 Jan. 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game