variants: or carbon neutral
Definition of carbon-neutral
: having or resulting in no net addition of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere Wood-fired electricity qualifies as carbon-neutral because the carbon dioxide the generators emit would have been released anyway as trees die and decompose. — Boston Globe, 8 May 2009 : counterbalancing the emission of carbon dioxide with carbon offsets … advertises itself as the first carbon-neutral polymer producer—though to meet that claim it has to purchase carbon offset certificates for the energy needed for the process.— Jessica Marshall, New Scientist, 7 July 2007
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game