Definition of by itself
1 : without being directly controlled by a person : automatically The computer shuts off by itself if you haven't used it for a while. The sprinkler will turn on by itself.
2 : with nothing nearby : alone The house stood by itself at the end of the street.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game