Definition of burnt
1 : consumed, altered, or damaged by or as if by fire or heat burnt toast Anyone can order crème brûlée—literally "burnt cream"—in a restaurant, and who wouldn't want to? The creamy custard with a crackly burnt-sugar topping is sinfully good, making it the perfect treat to share after a Valentine's Day meal. — Bon Appetit He withstood three painful skin grafts in which thin strips of undamaged skin were removed from his thighs and calves to replace burnt tissue on his upper body.— Fred Robbins et al.
2 of a color or pigment : having a somewhat dull appearance as though scorched burnt sienna
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game