branch offphrasal verb
branched off; branching off; branches off
Definition of branch off
: to separate from something and move in a different direction The stream branched off to the left. —often + from Streets branch off from both sides of the highway.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game