\ ˈbō(t)ˌtāl \
Definition of boattail
(Entry 1 of 2)
2 : the part of an artillery projectile in the rear of the rotating band when shaped like the inverted frustum of a cone
\ " \
variants: or less commonly boat-tailed \ ˈ⸗¦⸗ \
Definition of boattail (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : tapered at the back end like the stern of a boat a boattail bullet a boattail ski
2 [boattail entry 1] : of, relating to, or having a boattail bullets of the boattail type
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game