Definition of blighted
1 botany : affected with blight (see blight entry 1 sense 1) a blighted plant This pathogen causes blighted flowers, heavy leaf spotting, and the death of young, green shoots.— Elsie Cox
2 : in a badly damaged or deteriorated condition a blighted landscape a blighted city … the physicians who work here in some of the nation's most blighted neighborhoods …— Malcolm Gladwell
3 : made ineffectual : defeated or frustrated blighted dreams At every point we are confronted with shattered promises, blighted hopes, irreconcilable dilemmas, good intentions gone astray …— Gertrude Himmelfarb
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game