Definition of blame game
the blame game : a situation in which different individuals or groups attempt to assign blame to each other for some problem or failure … yet another example of the blame game that has become endemic in American life. It's always someone else's fault, and government makes an easy and familiar target.— Zachary Karabell, Time, 18 Oct. 2010 Anyone who has watched the … congressional hearings on the government's inadequate response to Hurricane Katrina has witnessed officials high and low playing the blame game. — BusinessWeek, 10 Oct. 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game