Definition of blacktip shark
: a small, grayish requiem shark (Carcharhinus limbatus) with black-tipped fins that is widely distributed in coastal tropical and subtropical seas The vast majority of shark bites are from so-called hit-and-run attacks by smaller species, such as blacktip sharks. They mistake thrashing arms or dangling feet as a prey item, dart in, bite and let go when they realize it's not a fish.— Tim Friend
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?