bishop's ringnoun (1)
Definition of bishop's ring
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a ring worn by bishops on the third finger of the right hand signifying that the bishop is wedded to the church
Bishop's ringnoun (2)
Definition of Bishop's ring (Entry 2 of 2)
: a faint reddish brown corona due to the sun's shining through fine dust in the atmosphere
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game