Definition of barrel tile
: a semi-cylindrical roofing tile that is laid in interlocking columns that alternate with one column having the convex side facing up and the next column having the concave side facing up When I notice the red barrel tiles on the roof, I wonder if perhaps all of the houses on the block shared this feature at one time. — R. Stephanie Bruno, Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana), 22 May 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game