Definition of barn-burning
chiefly US, informal
: very energetic and impassioned a barn-burning orator barn-burning performances : prolonged and exciting … he thought the market would begin a barn-burning rally as the leading world economies showed signs of life.— Robert Hurtado, New York Times, 18 June 1993 Canada sneaked past the United States 69–62 in a barn-burning semi-final that went to double overtime … — Will Swanton, The Age (Melbourne, Australia), 16 Sept. 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game