Definition of banana spider
- … the spider—also known as a banana spider because it is sometimes found in boxes of bananas, or a giant crab spider—may strike fear into the hearts of some people, but is harmless to humans.
- —Angela Taylor and Mark Drever, Aberdeen (Scotland) Press and Journal, 21 Mar. 2003
- Tarantulas once were called banana spiders because they were often found in shipments of fruit.
- —Sally Bank, Calgary Herald, 30 Dec. 1995
- Golden silk spiders are named for their golden web, but are also called banana spiders because their body is long, thin and the top side is yellow.
- —Lee Belanger, News-Press (Fort Myers, Florida), 25 Mar. 2006
- Brazilian wandering spiders have been given the nickname the banana spider as they are occasionally discovered as stowaways within banana shipments.
- —Matt Goerzen, Winnipeg Free Press, 8 May 2009