Definition of ballistic transport
: a phenomenon in physics where electrons travel at high speeds within a medium (such as a semiconductor) without scattering off of obstacles (such as atoms or other electrons) Small conventional devices have been demonstrated to enter an ultra-high-speed mode of conduction called ballistic transport. — Predicasts Technology Update, 29 Jan. 1983
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?