Definition of ballistic transport
: a phenomenon in physics where electrons travel at high speeds within a medium (such as a semiconductor) without scattering off of obstacles (such as atoms or other electrons) Small conventional devices have been demonstrated to enter an ultra-high-speed mode of conduction called ballistic transport. — Predicasts Technology Update, 29 Jan. 1983
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game