average outphrasal verb
averaged out; averaging out; averages out
Definition of average out
: to produce a result that is even and balanced when looked at over a period of time The irregularities averaged out over the course of the study. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. It all averages out in the end.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game