automatic frequency controlnoun
Definition of automatic frequency control
: a function of an electronic circuit that allows a radio transmitter or receiver to stay adjusted to a specific frequency (such as one used by a radio station) without manual control A five-inch dynamic speaker, backed by 700 megawatts of audio output power puts out a quality sound and automatic frequency control prevents FM signals from drifting.— Dale Baldwin, Los Angeles Times, 27 Jan. 1985
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game